The specific objectives of the WOOL2LOOP project are:
1. To enable consistent quality mineral wool raw material from construction and demolition waste.
2. Use novel on-site analytical methods for the analysis of mineral wool waste.
3. Develop milling and pre-treatment technology for mineral wool waste.
4. Demonstrate the manufacturing of new products using the alkali-activation technology. Alkali-activation (or geopolymerisation) is becoming more widely accepted method to prepare low carbon dioxide binder, other products and materials from several industrial by-products, one promising being the mineral wool waste. Mineral wool geopolymer concrete is estimated to produce approximately 80 % less CO2 emissions compared to regular concrete. The manufacturing of the different products will be demonstrated: fiber-reinforced panels, acoustic panels, pavement slabs, façade elements, 3D-printing equipment optimised for mineral wool geopolymers, dry mix concrete, and floor screed. Also, the recyclability of alkali-activated materials as an aggregate is verified.
5. Ensure the health, safety and environmental performance and requirements thorough the value chain.
6. Evaluate the circular economic feasibility of the developed value chain.
7. Communicate results and engage with the expectations about the future utilization prospects of mineral wool waste and to create the awareness among external stakeholders and the general public across the EU.
Figure: Specific objectives of WOOL2LOOP.